Monday, January 12, 2009

Grown-Up Book #1

One of my resolutions this year is to read more “grown-up” books. I kicked off the new year the best way I knew how- with C.S. Lewis.
I had wanted to read The Great Divorce for awhile now and I found the opportunity through my resolution. I am a Lewis-enthusiast. My favorite, up until now, was The Screwtape Letters.
The Great Divorce is what I call a bang-for-your-buck-book (even if you are borrowing).
bang-for-your-buck-book, n.
a book of 100 or so pages that is of quality writing, not to be confused with flash fiction.
Busy mothers appreciate bang-for-your-buck-books.
Steinbeck’s "The Pearl" is a bang-for-your-buck-book.
Angela needs to find another phrase to describe a “bang-for-your-buck-book”.

Anyways.

The Great Divorce is now my favorite C.S. Lewis novel (sorry Wormtail). Lewis craft fully (as always) interlaces Christian theology with temporal application and literary allusions. If you disagreed with Blake’s conception (ha, pun) of Heaven and Hell, Lewis has got your back. If you liked Dante, you’ll like this journey. If you found Dante callous, you will appreciate the grace described in this book.

Of course, the novel is allegorical. And, although Lewis’ works speak to the majority of Christianity, not all aspects of his writings apply to all churches.
S. Michael Wilcox is a favorite speaker in our household, he recently released Of Lions, Dragons and Turkish Delight: C. S. Lewis for Latter-day Saints which is great is you are LDS and a Lewis fan, I recommend it and I’ll even let you borrow it.

Okay. With that said. How about another phrase for “bang-for-your-buck-book?”
Maybe… smile-for-your-while-book? I don’t know. Help me out.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails