Thursday, May 21, 2009

Genealogy is... Preserving

Often our perception of genealogy is two dimensional, paper and pen, pedigree and charts, maybe a few pictures, maybe. Yet there is so much more that we can do. Let me tell you about some of our family’s treasures.
Recordings
Most of you know about my mother-in-law Ruth, some of you have had the pleasure of knowing her personally, a privilege I missed. I met Michael shortly after his mother’s death; therefore, I have never known the woman who raised my husband. You miss out on a lot of information without a mother-in-law.
Right after my niece Alyssa was born, Ruth recorded herself reading Little Golden Books and singing songs on tapes. Thanks to Shelly, we were able to record those tapes, so now we have the MP3s. We also have recordings of Michael’s grandparents reading books as well. When Caleb gets old enough he will enjoy being read to by his progenitors.

Recipes
One of the things I cherish is family recipes. Every time I make banana bread or Captain Grandma’s Rice Dish, I think about those ancestors who nourished their families and bothered to record the recipe, so the nourishment and tradition could continue.
Journals
My brother-in-law inherited a set of scriptures from his father, and I think they are the neatest token. What’s so special, you ask? Well, beside from the Bruce R. McConkie autograph in the back, my brother-in-law’s father basically journaled in his scriptures. He would date passages the day he read them, record answers to prayers, and identify a scribble or rip a child created with a byline and date. It is priceless.
Genealogy does not have to be two dimensional, it’s all about preserving. You take something that you want to remember, record it in some manner and preserve it for future generations. It could be a frugal recipe your great-grandmother passed down (that you end up serving on a second date with your-future-husband), silly songs or a lesson learned or a set of values or beliefs.
You know, the important stuff.

It doesn't always have to be about your ancestors either.
You can start working on your personal history now,
you know, while you actually remember it! ; )

Until next Thursday…
make like some jam and preserve!






2 comments:

The well rounded mom said...

You inspired me, I'm making some jam today. That is so cool that you have Calebs grandma taped reading stories. I'm sure your family will treasure that for generations!: )

Brent & Andrea said...

Oh, I would love to get a copy of the stories and songs from Ruth! I think often of the wonderful woman who raised my husband. You've inspired me Ang! Love ya!

Related Posts with Thumbnails