During the earlier mentioned quarantine Caleb made a discovery: television.
Despite our efforts Caleb has never been prone to zone out in front of the telly. He’d rather do abhorrent things like dancing to music, flipping through books and running around outside while obscenely yelling “BEEP! BEEP!”
When our pediatrician tried to distract Caleb during the15 month appointment and asked Caleb to look at Elmo, our son stared dumbly at him. The gesture was returned by the pediatrician when we explained that Caleb doesn’t watch television ergo he is unfamiliar with the Muppet.
Am I shunning those who let their kids watch television? Absolutely not. In fact, I’m jealous. Like I said “despite our efforts” Caleb has not taken to watching television.
Until recently.
During our stomach flu epidemic, I lounged in my sick nest (a cluster of blankets, pillows and germs on the couch) while Caleb marched around with our broom and dustpan “sweeping.” Sweeping here means celebrating the extended reach a broom gives by knocking things over that otherwise would be safe from a toddler.
Soon, I gave in (I think it was when he started to charge the fireplace mantel) and tried to seduce sedate keep Caleb still by plopping him on the couch and popping in a Veggie Tales movie.
IT. WORKED.
THANK. GOODNESS.
Because I have never been so exhausted in my life! Not being able to keep anything down for an entire day does not fair well when you are pregnant.
Now here comes the downside. He only wants to watch Lyle the Kindly Viking and only that Veggie Tales DVD.
Funny enough Caleb’s desire to watch the same movie over and over again is quite the opposite of his parents’ dilemma- tiring of watching the same ol’ movies but too cheap to buy new ones.
We have tried renting from the library. And yes, I was disappointed when Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets was scratched up, surprised when The Truth About Cats and Dogs wouldn’t play (yes, B-List Romantic Comedies are totally my guilty pleasure)
BUT I WAS OUTRAGED that the Frontier House set I requested was not in decent condition (who else in the state of Massachusetts watches Frontier House? From the DVDs’ gashes I’d guess Freddy Kruger). I could only watch disc two.
DISC TWO?!
Come on!
(If you don’t know what I’m talking about, get on the wagon.)
So, the library movies and I are no longer on speaking viewing terms.
Okay. So. If other New Englanders are willing, I will totally host a movie switch where everyone brings two movies to lend-out (typically one is a “Sunday” friendly movie). You come with two movies and you leave with two movies. We borrow them for two weeks then return. No fees, no fuss. Just make sure your discs and cases are labeled with your surname and that the movies you borrow stay out of reach of little ones and “sweeping”. Send me a message via facebook or e-mail me and let me know if you are interested or know of someone else who may be interested.
Here’s the clue for this week. Clue # 6? Seriously?
Hopefully my wait will be over in two more weeks! I’m running out of clues.
I know many of you are confused but rest assured
that I’ll go back and explain each clue when everything is said and done.
Until then, keep searching.
8 comments:
Man, I tried so long to get Andrew addicted to TV. Now about every week I vow to detox him. Its a love/hate relationship (with the TV and me, not Andrew and me...).
And you are being published by Deseret Book!!!
My kids love movies! It's very handy sometimes to keep them calm and quiet when I'm just not in the best of moods. But then sometimes it's the only way to keep them from going ballistic! Which is a downer...but hey what can you do. The only things they watch is educational stuff and Disney/Pixar movies for the most part so it's not that horrible.
Maybe I'm googling wrong...but I got the Faith-Centered Music Association. Perhaps you are waiting for tickets for the Pearl Awards? or a CD?
I loved frontier house. I watched it on it's original run on PBS. They also had a victorian house! It was facinating! We have lots of movies you can borrow. I've given up on the clues but await the explanation!
I know that William ended up in Canada in either 1860 or 1866 according to two different censuses. I do know that his birthday is 8 Apr 1837...but that's all I've got so far. :) Let me know if anything matches!
I feel guilty because Madison only wants to watch movies. (We don't have TV so she is not an Elmo, Dora or other TV cartoon fan) However, movies, no problem. She loved Baby Einstein from day one and we've been through movie phases. Finding Nemo is great but everyday, sometimes twice, for several weeks, it gets old so I know how you feel. I also feel you on the library thing, there is nothing more annoying than checking out a movie and getting halfway through before it starts skipping, try explaining that to a 2 year old! Anyway, good luck with the movie swap, sounds like fun!
Do you have a VCR? Because if so, someone on freecycle is giving away 80 movies. Some of them look pretty good. Let me know!
Post a Comment