Monday, September 21, 2009

Sunday Post

To really appreciate a planned Sunday dinner that takes more than 15 minutes to complete, you have to have a two week menu void such as our family has experienced due to the common cold and then the stomach flu.

To understand our admiration for Sunday dinner this week, you have to understand our Saturday repast… consisting of Captain Grandma’s rice dish and tortilla chips and salsa.

Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE my Great Grandma’s recipe (5 ingredients -awesome), but seriously, after our recent quarantine our kitchen needed to be revisited, mostly by me. A week of condensed soup, spaghetti and fast food, leaves me feeling like a blob, so Sunday I boiled a box of jumbo shells and stuffed them (and froze half of the product for later), made a salad, kool-aid and cookies. Aw. Sunday.

Yesterday was Caleb’s first full-time experience in Nursery and he flew completely SOLO. I was proud and slightly gloomy as Mike deposited Caleb into the room, and our son sat nonchalantly down to await his snack. He didn’t even acknowledge our departure.

As a past Nursery leader I know I couldn’t ask for more, and I also know there will be days of heel-digging, toddler-dragging, and tear-flooding once the novelty wears off.

Still, I was surprised (maybe disappointed?) that I didn’t hear my son’s familiar cry through the classroom wall (yes, the CTR5 classroom is right by the nursery- sheer torture) and I attentively watched the doors during the last hour, the time assigned for Caleb to come to me if needed.

IF. NEEDED.

Apparently, I wasn’t needed.


On the other hand,

just further proof that I’m doing my job well, right?










RIGHT?!

7 comments:

Maria said...

Neither of my kids cried when they started either. I figure they are just as glad as me to get a break from Mommy.

Brock and Kristina said...

You are so funny. I didn't know you guys were all sick...yuck. Also I'm glad Caleb went to nursery so well...that's awesome. It's bittersweet to see them get older!!

Kim said...

RIGHT!!!! :) And nice Sunday dinner - makes me hungry just looking at it. AND I didn't know you could freeze your stuffed shells. Although it makes perfect sense. That makes the work a little more worth it!

Me said...

Kim- Yep, just pop them in the freezer before the baking stage. I don't include the sauce with them though when I freeze. I figure I'm just going to pour it out of a jar anyways!

Amy said...

Making a fabulous dinner to end sickness is just divine, and a great way to celebrate health! (Yay I can eat what I made!)

Brent & Andrea said...

I seriously started drooling... that looks delicious.

Congrats to Caleb on being such a big boy. He is growing up too fast. Love you all!

Marné said...

Good job Caleb! Just give your mom a little token cry right next to the wall once or twice next week to let her know you love her :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails