To my Husband’s other Love:
When I first met Michael I was sporting a faux-grass skirt. It was at the institute Welcome Back dance, Hawaiian style, what else. It was August and he had been back from the mission for just three months. Maybe that explains why he waited a month to ask me out on a date. And why he almost canceled that date when he couldn’t find another couple to double with.
For the date, he invited me to a soccer match, he remembered I liked soccer, and I smartly left the grass skirt at home. To this day, we aren’t sure which team was Northern Arizona University (the blue on white or the white on blue) yet alone who won.
He spent the time talking about his ensemble. How most of it was purchased while visiting
you.
On our second date I temporarily evicted my roommates to cook dinner for him and to enjoy a movie together. I was trying to make an impression, something like, Hey, bonehead, I like you, I don’t just want to play house- I want the real deal. Something like that. We watched Serendipity starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale, a romance. During the film he remarked how he had experienced it all with someone else.
See, you and him, it wasn’t a two-year fling. It was a companionship. I get that.
I am willing to accept that I can no longer watch some of my favorite movies (i.e. Sleepless in Seattle, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Big Daddy, Elf, You’ve Got Mail, It Could Happen to You, Newsies, One Fine Day, and many more ) without commentary about him and you.
I can accept it because I know his time with you, made him into the man that I adore.
Then my time came. The moment all wives think about, meeting the other woman, letting Michael’s past catch-up to our future together.
When I first met you, I was nervous, I kept my head down. You were intimidating. I was three months pregnant at the time, starting to show, regularly uncomfortable without adding the discomfort of meeting you. But quickly I warmed up to you and your appearance. I figured:
If millions of people love you,
why can’t I?
why can’t I?
And I do.
Love you. By the way.
And I can’t wait to visit again. Let’s set a date soon.
Until then, sincerely,
Angela
Angela

PS I never expressed gratitude to you for setting Michael’s gastronomic expectations low. From what I understand you didn’t have many dinner dates with him there and that he mostly feasted on mac n’ cheese and Gray's Papaya. Thank you for lowering the bar to the point where I can trip over it in the kitchen. I appreciate it.
2 comments:
I want to go too. Let's hit the road!
very nice :)
A poetic response to "to all the girls I've loved before"
Post a Comment