Monday, September 13, 2010

A Tryst of the Wrist

It was during a Break the Fast at the Freer's. Brother Freer was a counselor in our single’s ward’s bishopric, and often invited the young adults over to mingle in his backyard. It is sometimes painful to think back on those activities. Reflecting back on the “good-clean fun” we use to have makes me clench my teeth.
Like playing Red Rover in the Freer's backyard, after breaking our fast.
Imagine 15 young adults (that’s 18-30 year olds) clasping hands and singing “Red Rover, Red Rover, send
{insert the name of a fish from our shallow dating pool}
on over!”
Sadly, there are worse more pathetic documented activities than this,
but you get my point. (Disclaimer: view the link at your own discretion)

I don’t remember how well I knew Mike then. I’m guessing our friendship was at the epidermis level: not too deep yet, just on the surface. We’d danced together. And I liked him as a person. Not yet as a moose. Maybe I even fancied him a little. Whatever-
He obviously felt comfortable enough to plow into my clasped hand!
Causing two of my fingernails to bend back. Which miffed me more than anything.
I don’t keep my fingernails long out of habit: keeping them short for karate and also when bored or stressed, I tend to bite them. So achieving a white nail plate is a big deal for me.
A. BIG. DEAL.
That night when I got back from the activity, I dolefully clipped the rest of my nails off.
The next day, I ran into Mike. (Not literally. Oh no, that’s his method of concourse!)

And he noticed.
My nails.
And asked why I had clipped them.

That, was a big deal for me too. :)

Last night, we were playing with Caleb. And we taught him Red Rover.
Mike and I sat on our knees and held hands.
Caleb would sing the calling song with us and excitedly dash.
He was content to run into our clasped hands again and again.



I am glad for clasped hands.


7 comments:

Paula and Eddie said...

awww... that's a cute story! It's fun how the littlest things, like noticing you clipped your nails, can leave such an impression! (Before we were dating, I was talking with some friends at church about how I had overslept and didn't do much with my appearance...when from no where, I hear "I still think you look beautiful." And it was Eddie. Totally out of nowhere!) It's awesome we can remember these stories to share with our kids. I bet Red Rover will always have that special place despite the pain at the time ;-)

Amy said...

I remember playing red rover at the Freer's. Single college time is one of those things that was nice while you were in it, but are so glad to be married and never want to go back.

Geevz said...

That link was absolutely fabulous

Maria said...

I love that picture--your dress is beautiful.

Caitlin said...

I totally don't remember playing Red Rover at the Freer's. Maybe I missed that break the fast.

Shauni said...

Oh, how I miss Break the Fast! So much better than coming home from church and having to cook our own dinner. Although being married is way better than getting to go to Break the Fast! :)

Sunderhaus Family said...

Oh Geeze I loved it. I mean it was goofy and trite and such a transparent attempt at young adults to flirt, but life is fun even if we "outgrow" it. :) I remember that day vividly. The ironic thing is that my brother Josh used it today because he is watching Anna for me. "Red Rover Red Rover Bring Anna Right Over"

Related Posts with Thumbnails