Friday evening Mike supervised while Caleb cleaned his room. After Caleb went to bed, and after snores issued from under his pile of comforters, we blew up some balloons and placed them on the floor of his room. In the morning he woke up knowing that the day was special and he was ever so excited. He got Moose-made waffles for breakfast and got to watch Iron Giant until he had his fill (which is, by the way, 2.5 times).
He requested a special birthday dinner and out of all the meals I make he chose:
About a month ago Caleb got really into Cake Boss. So when I asked him what he wanted on his birthday cake and he replied saying, “I want a robot, and I EAT the robot.” I knew I had to step-up my game. Enter in fondant.
Super easy to make and so much fun! Think of play dough for grown-ups.
WHAT I DID: I sprayed down my stand mixer and pastry hooks with cooking spray, turned it on and emptied a jar of marshmallow fluff and about half a bag of powdered sugar (gradually) into the bowl and let the machine do all the work. After dough was formed I divided it then, using plastic (no latex, no powder) gloves, I kneaded in the food dye. Wrapped each ball in plastic wrap and threw them in the fridge to await use.
After I started to construct the robot, Mike wanted in on the fun, so he helped craft Caleb’s name and various parts of the bot.

Like I said it was so easy and the best part was we didn’t have to go to Hoboken!Do you remember the kid with all the unusual or atypical toys? Not neat toys, just… weird?
That’s Caleb. This year he got from us: a rechargeable piggy flashlight, stack-able wooden robots, a latch board and some Sunday books.
That’s Caleb. This year he got from us: a rechargeable piggy flashlight, stack-able wooden robots, a latch board and some Sunday books.

Things I love about Caleb in no particular order:
1) How when his hair is wet it looks like a hatchling’s feathers.
2) He asks me to read a book, then halfway through gets so excited that he takes over and starts telling me the story.
3) Says the same prayer morning, noon and night, seven days a week: Dear Heavenly Father, thank you. I say these in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen!
4) Is always committed to the pretense. Never breaks character… unless snacks are involved.
5) Would stay outside all day despite weather or other obligations.
6) Expresses genuine concern for others and tries to solve problems. Solutions of choice: sharing, hugs and hiding under tables.
An Interview with Caleb:
What is your favorite…
cereal? “I like the raisins” (Raisin Bran)
vegetable? “I eat the apples”
drink? “I like-aye the milk.”
toy? “I play the cars.”
car? I like school bus.
game? “The tractor.”
book? “Uh, Cola Bear, Cola Bear “ (Polar Bear, Polar Bear)
animal? “Cat in the Hat”
color? “Drawing dinosaurs!”
movie? “I watch Little Foot.”
song? “Twinkle Little Star with owl.”
What do you like about daddy? “Daddy loves Kay-cub, best friend!”
What do you like about mommy? “Uh, Kay-cub’s best friend!”
What do you like about Nate? “Yes… I like baby Nate.”
Caleb’s best friend? “Baby Nate is Caleb’s best friend.”
What do you like about nursery? “Fun at church!”




10 comments:
so cute! I'm very impressed with your robot cake. I bailed and let my sister make Lillie's for year one. But I do need to "interview" Lillie for subsequent birthdays. I like that idea!
the cake is as beautiful as I imagined - nice work!! And thanks for sharing your secrets so I can make one too. looks like the perfect birthday!
Love the cake also! I can not believe that he is 3!
Super cute cake for a super cute Caleb! I liked watching him blow out the candles. We miss you all!
I love everything about this post--the cake, the creative gifts, the interview, etc.! Now I have ideas for Jaren's 3rd birthday!
Great cake! I don't get the code, but I assume all the 000s and 11s mean something. Maybe Caleb, or 3? i will ask google translate.
Happy birthday Caleb!
Does Google translate binary? :)
0000 0011 = "3" in binary.
love the interview and love the binary.Very robot appropriate. I decorated my sister's wedding cake in binary messages and it was my bro-in-law's favorite part :)
Love, love, love this post and love the sneak peak of baby Nate in one of the photos. :) You make me look forward to watching Nicholas grow up.
Happy Birthday Caleb! We love Iron Giant, it's a great movie. That cake looks awesome! Have you seen this book http://www.harpercollins.com/browseinside/index.aspx?isbn13=9780060296247
It was Joe's favorite. and this one Kiss Goodnight is mine and Christophers' all time favorite
http://www.amazon.com/Kiss-Good-Night-Sam-Books/dp/0763621145.
Post a Comment