
This past weekend was our Stake Conference.
During the Adult session Saturday night, a sister suggested that people should do a blog entry about how glad and grateful we are for our callings.
This reminded me, I had forgotten to post that I was called to the Primary board in the branch last week.
So, here is my post regarding my gratitude for not only my calling in it, but the Primary program itself.
During the Adult session Saturday night, a sister suggested that people should do a blog entry about how glad and grateful we are for our callings.
This reminded me, I had forgotten to post that I was called to the Primary board in the branch last week.
So, here is my post regarding my gratitude for not only my calling in it, but the Primary program itself.
I have popping in and out of Primary for the past three years. Shortly after being married, Mike and I were called to be Primary Workers to teach the Sunbeams (3 yr olds) in the Woodlands Ward. Most would find my reaction to the calling odd, others would find it hilarious- I cried.
I am a convert to the Church, I had never attended Primary, I did not know the songs or routines and the whole calling was very intimidating to me. It also did not help that every member I told gave a grimace at the word “Sunbeam.” Besides my husband only one other person was encouraging, an institute teacher who after listening to my concerns promptly said, “Angela, now you get to learn all them [songs]! And grow even more! I didn’t think it was possible!”
Well, I haven’t learned all the songs; I know a great deal of them though. I love having those words sung in our home and having the sweet spirit that they invite.
Other ways my various callings in Primary have blessed me include:
Strengthening My Marriage
Michael and I served in Primary side by side as we taught Sunbeams, CTR 5, as we served as Nursery Leaders and substitutes. We learned each others’ strengths and weaknesses and learned how to work together.
Furthered My Education and Increased My Talents:
Northern Arizona University is one of the better education colleges in the nation. In order to be accepted into the College of Education you must fill out an application, write an entry essay and have one letter of recommendation from a person or organization that observed you demonstrating recent instructive interactions with children. The last requirement is hard because when you are an undergraduate you have little time for sleep let alone teaching opportunities. The recommender could not be family and the experience could not be babysitting or nanny-like.
Luckily, I had already served as a Primary Worker and Nursery Leader and my Primary President was happy to write my letter of recommendation.
Preparing to teach and teaching in Primary also helped me understand the curriculum I faced in the education program, and helped me become a better teacher.
Comforted My Heart
After wanting a child for a long time and being continually told it wasn’t the right time for our family, Primary implemented, supplemented, and met my desire to be a mother.
This is why I am so glad and grateful to be called to serve in Primary again! The only calling and the best calling helps you to serve others and grow in the Gospel. If your calling is not doing this for you now, please consider and meditate on how your calling can serve others and can cause you to grow in the Gospel, and do it.
-Ang
PS Ha. We did not hear from Elder Jensen this weekend, we heard from Elder Dixon, by the way. I don’t know why I thought Jensen, but Stake Conference as a whole was really really good… and small.
PPS I won’t be posting for a few weeks unless something BIG or SPECIAL happens. :) I’ve got work enough to do.
I am a convert to the Church, I had never attended Primary, I did not know the songs or routines and the whole calling was very intimidating to me. It also did not help that every member I told gave a grimace at the word “Sunbeam.” Besides my husband only one other person was encouraging, an institute teacher who after listening to my concerns promptly said, “Angela, now you get to learn all them [songs]! And grow even more! I didn’t think it was possible!”
Well, I haven’t learned all the songs; I know a great deal of them though. I love having those words sung in our home and having the sweet spirit that they invite.
Other ways my various callings in Primary have blessed me include:
Strengthening My Marriage
Michael and I served in Primary side by side as we taught Sunbeams, CTR 5, as we served as Nursery Leaders and substitutes. We learned each others’ strengths and weaknesses and learned how to work together.
Furthered My Education and Increased My Talents:
Northern Arizona University is one of the better education colleges in the nation. In order to be accepted into the College of Education you must fill out an application, write an entry essay and have one letter of recommendation from a person or organization that observed you demonstrating recent instructive interactions with children. The last requirement is hard because when you are an undergraduate you have little time for sleep let alone teaching opportunities. The recommender could not be family and the experience could not be babysitting or nanny-like.
Luckily, I had already served as a Primary Worker and Nursery Leader and my Primary President was happy to write my letter of recommendation.
Preparing to teach and teaching in Primary also helped me understand the curriculum I faced in the education program, and helped me become a better teacher.
Comforted My Heart
After wanting a child for a long time and being continually told it wasn’t the right time for our family, Primary implemented, supplemented, and met my desire to be a mother.
This is why I am so glad and grateful to be called to serve in Primary again! The only calling and the best calling helps you to serve others and grow in the Gospel. If your calling is not doing this for you now, please consider and meditate on how your calling can serve others and can cause you to grow in the Gospel, and do it.
-Ang
PS Ha. We did not hear from Elder Jensen this weekend, we heard from Elder Dixon, by the way. I don’t know why I thought Jensen, but Stake Conference as a whole was really really good… and small.
PPS I won’t be posting for a few weeks unless something BIG or SPECIAL happens. :) I’ve got work enough to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment