Friday, August 14, 2009

August 20, 2005


Children Dancing at a Party by Norman Rockwell


Next week, we will be celebrating our fourth year of marriage.

Her Idea of Romance

Girls bond through gestures and meaningful experiences

When I was younger, my grandmother Kappes described the circumstances in which she had met my grandfather. It was at a dance at the county chair, Ada of Norman County in Minnesota. My grandfather was a musical renaissance man. He played the banjo, oboe and the piano, just to name a few. From the stage is where he spotted my grandma that night. She was dancing with another fellow. As the song he was playing came to end, he told the band he’d sit out the next tune. Quickly, he snatched up my grandmother for the next dance.

And I can honestly say that they hadn’t stop dancing since that night. They grew a farm and also a large family. They were not without hardship or trial, but they were partners and endured.

I knew I wanted to follow in my grandparents footsteps. I was pleased when I met Michael at a church dance. He was helping his brother DJ the affair. Not quite the oboe, but you get the idea. A year after we had met, we were married.

I love to dance. And despite his grumbles, Mike is willing to dance with me and even learned how to swing and waltz. He even waltzed with me in front of the entire Flagstaff stake. Ask me about it sometime. It was ridiculous. Not him, the experience.


His Idea of Romance

Guys bond through learning and recurring actions

While Michael was attending his first, and little did he know his last, year at Brigham Young University, he stayed with his uncle and his aunt. His aunt and uncle enjoy cooking together, and in my opinion, this activity surpasses just a plain-Jane hobby, it is art. Of course, I am partial to food… but I am zealous for good food. And they make GOOD food.

Michael has always expressed the desire to learn recipes and cook meals together. This dream has fell by the wayside as schedules began to clash and as Caleb begun demonstrating his acrobatic talents on the oven door.

So, this year for our anniversary, we are staying in and cooking dinner together. We’ll be making red bell pepper soup, kabobs (appropriate, no?) and a salad. For dessert, I have no idea. Maybe some mousse? : ) If you have any suggestions, I am open.

My hopes are a good meal, and maybe stealing a dance.



Here’s to family.




4 comments:

Maria said...

Uh, why is mousse appropriate? I think I am missing an inside joke...

Well, if you like ethnic food (and by ethnic I mean German) I have a great recipe for you. Picture this: cake made from yeast dough. Spread with carmel-y nut sauce. Baked. Sliced in half. Stuffed with vanilla pudding, cool-whip, and raspberries. It's a family recipe dating back to the 1800's (although they didn't use the cool-whip back then) and it is delish!

Marné said...

Happy Anniversary! I would offer food suggestions, but I am too busy drooling over Maria's dessert description. YUM. And I need to hear about the waltz story sometime!

Savana said...

Congrats on four years together! Sounds like a great evening together! (I hope you're getting a babysitter, or putting the little guy down for bed early!) I have a great dessert recipe that is Mahlon's favorite. It's four layers of chocolaty, cream cheese delight I've never brought it or made it for a gathering without someone asking for the recipe. If you're interested, I'll e-mail it to you.

Kim said...

Mousse is fabulous...we just had a chocolate mousse pie on Saturday. And I of course cracked a moosen joke. Ha.
I have a recipe for death by chocolate that's fabulous, but I don't think it can compete with the deliciousness of Maria recipe!!!
Congrats on the anniversary!

Related Posts with Thumbnails