Friday, August 7, 2009

Our Long Road to New Hampshire

DISCLOSURE: The following post may be on the verge of too much information for some, for others it may cause convulsive crying. I have BOLDED the main point in RED if you don’t want to risk emotional or digestive upheaval.




I took to motherhood like a brick covered in feathers took to flight, so I imagine that it surprised others and even my husband that I was talking about the next child only a few weeks after Caleb was born. February – I decided- would be when we would start trying for the next child. No one can blame Michael’s hesitancy on the subject. We were sleep deprived and his wife was a feathered-brick, afterall. In September he went to the temple to ask about the matter and came back with a name and approval. The name would be as important as the approval, both a source of strength.

February and March came and went. In April, I took a pregnancy test and received a faint line. Appointments were arranged, the customary blood test was conducted.


Looking back, it is easy to see that life, in general, is just a compilation of moments that during the occurrence thereof seem matchless, but in perspective they are naught.


When I received the results of my first blood test, that my progesterone level was low, the sadness I felt- it was indescribable. I was told there was a possibility of miscarriage and was suggested to go on supplements. I declined the supplements, trusting my body knew best since it had thrived a perfectly normal pregnancy once before.


During the routine 8th week ultrasound the baby was measuring small, but otherwise healthy. Three days later, I started to bleed. After several days of bleeding, I suspected I had miscarried, it was a Sunday, and our small family stayed home from church to grieve. Two weeks later, still bleeding, I went in for another ultrasound to confirm the miscarriage, only to discover the baby was still intact with a strong heartbeat. Sadly, the ultrasound technician identified cystic hygroma, this led to three more ultrasounds with a pre-natal specialist. The fifth ultrasound during the 12th week concluded that there was no cyctsic hygroma present. Precautionary blood tests were taken, such as the integrated blood test to screen for spina bifida and downs syndrome. I bled from the 8th week of pregnancy to the 12th, I was poked and prodded, I was told the worst news and the best- it was a time of growth, to say the least.


Last Monday, my integrated results were released: abnormal. 1:5 chance of abnormality, specifically 20% of DS, Tri8 or Spinal Bifida.


Our ultrasound appointment was scheduled for Friday, I can say that I have traveled to the recesses of the human condition within those four days. Both in utter darkness and in brilliance.


Now, you may think “20%” is great odds, but in reality, a person is not a percentage, a person is a person. 1:5, means four other people are standing in the room with YOU.


Thursday evening I went to the temple, to compose myself, to seek guidance and to gain comfort. It was the absolute experience, and I am glad I have a place to go like the temple.
I left feeling that I could do anything, truly endowed.

During the ultrasound the technician could not get a good view of the gender. Through the extensive procedure though, our prenatal specialist identified markers of Trisomy 18.
Our baby has a slim chance of making it to full term and even a lower chance of survival after birth.


I feel for my doctor as he described the diagnosis and related our options to us. He counseled us about our relationships and our psyches. This is his profession: to deliver observations. How his observations will influence the patient and their life is out of his hands. He said something memorable, “I have yet to find a word to describe it, but a baby is like a sacred object, and when a regular person dies we eulogize them and don’t talk about the fact he was a drunk, but in this case, the baby is perfect and that can be difficult for people to come to terms with.”
I offered, “It’s like they are exalted. Exalted beings.”
He liked that.

At the end of our appointment, he told me I was lovely and therefore lovable and a great mother. He gave me a hug and said goodbye.


This is our long road to N.H. The realization of this journey brings me to tears because I am so glad that I know the course of this existence does not end at death. And that my son (yes, that is what we believe) will have his perfect body someday, but for now I’m grateful for the opportunity to be a vessel and a means for him to fulfill the measure of his creation.

13 comments:

Sam said...

My heart is breaking for you and your family. You all are in my thoughts and prayers during this hard journey.

Jessica and Nathan Dana said...

oh angela- I am so sorry that you have to experience this!! BUT>>> miracles can happen. dont lose hope!!! But, if not, something that helped me was, he chose you!!!(if its a he, or should i say " your baby") you guys covenanted before you all come here that this child would come to you in these terms and you knew it was the best thing. I know from experience that comments like that dont make things easier but hopefully they can be of some comfort. Find peace in knowing that Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. And although its not what WE plan, his hands are in everything. Your baby truly is an exelted being!!! Your in my thoughts and prayers!! I hope more than anything that you recieve a miracle and dont have to go through what i did. But ive been told that its only the strong ones that can handle this and you are a spiritual giant to me. Hang in there and let me know if you need a chat!!! Good luck!!!please comment back to me or email me or whatever you need. i would love to hear how you are holding up!
Jessica Oakeson Dana

Jenna said...

Thanks for making your feelings and experiences available. I have no idea what you're going through, but you are able to express yourself clearly and your faith and strength shines through your words. I am glad that the Lord reveals certain things to us that make us more equipped to deal with the trials. The confirmations that you both received in the temple are those assurances, and it is essential to lean on them during the storms. I feel your wisdom has grown as a result of these hard times and roller coasters. Thanks for sharing your example with me.

Jenna

mntnewsgurl said...

Lots of love and prayers to you and your family!

Brock and Kristina said...

Oh Angela and Mike! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers as well. Angela, if there is one thing I've learned about you, it is that you are an amazing person. I can't even imagine the emotional roller coaster you are riding. Your strength and testimony will pull you guys through. You have a loving Father in Heaven who is watching out for you. I don't know why we are given the trials we are, but I have learned that there is a greater purpose we are fulfilling and maybe someday we'll more fully understand it. We love you guys!!! PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can do!!

Geevz said...

Oh Angela! I have no words of comfort, only admiration of your strength. Our prayers are with you.

Amy said...

The nice thing to know about this life is we are given what we can handle. In knowing you have the Temple and Heavenly Father on your side, no matter how difficult it is, you are always taken care of.

I would like to share this with you. My Uncle just passed away from pancreatic cancer earlier this week. One of the greatest blessings has been the peace I have felt knowing I will see him again in a perfect resurrected body. I got to go to the temple yesterday with family. There were things said there that touched my heart and I know that the Atonement works and that Christ has boundless love for all of us. You are awesome people and no matter what happens you will have that peace because you seek for it (And joy! DOn't forget joy!). I'm glad I care share in your life a little and as long as this may be that it can be helpful.

Rachelle Rauma said...

Angela, I know some of what you were going through early on in the pregnancy. I had heavy hemorrhaging and was in and out of the ER trying to figure out what was going on. We thought we would lose the child several times, and then we'd be told that the heartbeat was still there, holding strong. We didn't know what to expect, what to plan for, what to do.... But I found solace in the master Plan that you know so well. I'm rooting for you. Praying for you. Keep your chin up, Ang. -Rachelle

Savana said...

Angela-there are never words to properly express feelings in situations like this. What I can say is that I agree with Jessica when she says only the strongest could handle such difficult trials in life and that although I would never wish an experience like this upon you and your family, there is no one that I feel is stronger or better prepared to handle such a difficulty. You are a wonderful person and mother and I pray that you will find the strength through our Father in Heaven and hope through our Savior to overcome this. Please know I am here for you, if you need anything!

Unknown said...

HUGS. I can't imagine what you both must be feeling, I know that you were so excited for this baby. I know it must seem like more than you can bear, but I know you are strong. From what you have written, it sounds like you are approaching this trial with the best attitude you can have. I have always admired your faith, and I know it is what will carry you through this time and the difficult days to come. I know we are far away, but if you need anything just let us know. And know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. We love you guys. xoxox

Sunderhaus Family said...

Angela~

There is a small place in the heart, I believe, that carries all that is pure, all that is good.

Your baby will reside there for all of your life, until you can raise that special soul in the rest of eternity.

My prayers are with you, beautiful friend. You carry one of the perfect children of Heavenly Father.

I love you.
Rachel

Brent & Andrea said...

Angela & Mike,
We love you guys and pray for you. If you need anything, let us know. We only wish we were closer. I love reading about your strength and eternal perspective. You are amazing!

Give Caleb a squeeze from us.
xoxo

Kathryn said...

Dear Angela,
My heart breaks for you today. My name is Kathryn and I'm one of Mike's high school friends. He sent my links to your blog. I've been reading it, and was very touched with your carefully written posts and thoughts about your daughter. I sit here in my kitchen and cry for you. I have rough pregnancies and have a gentle place in my heart for other women who have problems. I am so sorry. I know this comes two years late, but I'm thinking about you today. Thank you for your kind example of faith and the future. Best wishes in the days and years to come.

Related Posts with Thumbnails