Tuesday, August 12, 2008

August 10- August 16, The Breakers and Castle Hill Lighthouse

The Breakers is a Vanderbilt mansion. It consists of 70 rooms and has approximately 65,000 sq ft of living space. The home was constructed between 1893 and 1895 at a cost of more than seven million dollars (approximately $150 million in today's dollars adjusted for inflation). It rests on a 13 are plot of land that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean. The estate’s name comes from the breaking waves that can be seen and heard from the property.

Mike chose to take Monday off, so we went on another New England adventure. This time we visited The Breakers mansion and the Castle Rock Lighthouse in Newport, RI.
A whopping 1 hour drive!
Here are some pictures of the day's scenery:


THE BREAKERS

panorama courtesy of Mike
I've decided that this lawn would be the perfect place
to read The Great Gatsby. I know, I 'm a nerd.



Tragically, we were not allowed to take pictures inside the mansion.
A lot of the room decor reminded us of the Salt Lake and Mesa temple.
The tour was about an hour long, and Caleb was good for all of it!
Many a' old ladies were impressed.


THE CASTLE HILL LIGHTHOUSE



The best part of the day was spending time together.

2 comments:

Amy said...

It looks like a very nice place to go. I wish the places I visited this summer were only an hour away instead of a day's drive.

Savana said...

How beautiful! Are you living over there?

Related Posts with Thumbnails