
I carry around blog entries in my head. In other words, I’m a genuine blogger. I type what I think and hope there’s a filter somewhere in between my noggin and my phalanges.In my head I compose posts on several topics a week and typically only one makes the cut and is published on this blog. This past week, however, I have been too occupied to publish any entries, yet alone, think of multiple topics.
My mind has been set on the one, the only topic of… callings this past week. For those of you unfamiliar with the church I belong to, we are a lay ministry. Meaning, our members fill various roles of responsibility without the exchange of income. We believe these callings are meant to enrich our lives, the lives of those we serve and also draw ourselves and others closer to God.
Ever since Michael and I met our callings have been intertwined. When we met he was serving as Ward Mission Leader, I was in Compassionate Service. Married, we served together as Sunday School teachers, Primary Workers, Nursery Leaders, Church Magazine Representatives (which I swear to this day, is a made-up calling) and currently on the Activities Committee.
Our branch’s Christmas Activity is this Friday, in case you forgot. I haven’t, hence this post. There’s plenty to do. Not too much. Not too little. Just the right amount of preparation. Most of it is fun. Like utilizing my husband to take pictures of his unsuspecting Sunday School class for the slideshow.
Although entertaining, I find the activities committee calling…
“intimidating.”
I would have used the term “menacing” but I kept imagining a calendar with a mask wielding a ladle.If you were to ask me about my first calling, I’d tell you about my family home evening leader fling. Which is accurate, but not all encompassing.
Before I was baptized, I was an unofficial member of an activities committee. My sister and brother-in-law were the lone members of their ward’s committee and often white linens + red jell-o could = anything but defaced textile.
So. Now. Here I am. A decade later. Not scribbling a tree, but sashaying around with raffia and candy canes and terribly nervous, like fifty-year-old-woman-with-arms-full-of-linens-in-a-jell-o factory-on-bring-your-toddler-to-work-day kind of nervous, here. So, wish me luck. And those of you attending, slip me chocolate throughout the evening to sedate me, would ya? : )
As for my Primary calling. The last few weeks since I have returned to church, has been satisfying. Comparatively speaking, if activities is my bed of nails, primary is my cake walk.
I have been working on singing “I Am a Child of God” at the beginning of each class. It is a song everyone knows and brings the Spirit into the room. Of course, prodding the children by rewarding the three best singers has helped our chorus. (The best singers get to say the opening prayer, the closing prayer or be the line leader… hey, I didn’t say they were glamorous prizes!)
But let me tell you. I’m the one being rewarded. I wish I could bottle the feeling I get when my class sings that song.
It’s like being the line leader
wherever you go!
No matter how the rest of my Sunday goes, I have the first few minutes of the second hour that makes my day.wherever you go!
So. Now that you have heard the good and the bad. My fears and fancies.
What are some callings or responsibilities that make you quake? What are some that make you soar?
Comment, please.
P.S. November, where did you go?
8 comments:
The calling I have now makes me quake and soar! I am the primary music leader. Coming up with something every week that will entertain, keep their attention and teach them is sometimes daunting! But I LOVE listening to them sing and be excited about the music! Plus I finally got over feeling embarrassed about making a fool of myself in front of everybody! That helps.
My husband and I are on our second round of activities committee members (two wards, same calling in both). Either we still have something to learn, or just radiate activities committee member when we change wards. I don't mind, I like going to the activities anyway and usually we get the crafty assignments which is fun, but daunting sometimes. Last Christmas we build a life-size stable out of cardboard! Anyhoo, the calling I love is my second calling "Relief Society Birthday Card specialist"
I get to make birthday cards for all the sisters, its fun, and challenging although I admit not very spiritually enlightening! Good luck with you Christmas party, ours is Saturday and that reminds me I have some things to do this week!
Since we have been married Wes and have been in Primary together. In Flagstaff we were called as CTR 8 teachers. Then, upon arriving in Oklahoma, Wes gets called as a CTR 8 teacher (and I get to be with him so he is not a lone male teacher, works out for me!) Then, we moved up with our CTR 8's to Valiant 9. It has been wonderful. I love the crazy boys we teach (ALL boys). They made up a funny sing yesterday. My current calling of being a visiting teaching supervisor is intimidating. I don't like making phone calls and feel bad asking the famous question: have you done your visiting teaching? Fortunately it has made me a better visiting teacher in various ways. Ok, my novel is over now.
Alright. Here's my secret. The Young Women. They scare the daylights out of me. A close second would be activities committee. That's kind of a lot of pressure.
I love primary and teaching. I would actually, secretly, love to try gospel doctrine someday. I think it would be a holy-crap-what-am-i-doing, yet holy-crap-i-learned-more-than-i-ever-have experience.
I feel your pain Angela! I never sweated a calling more then when I was the Enrichment councelor in Relief Society. I vowed to never complain about an activity again when I had that calling.
My favorite calling is youth Sunday school. Teach the gosple, learn a lot, only on Sundays, still get to go to Relief Society. Teenagers think you're wierd no matter what, so no need to worry!
Callings that are really scary RSP, YWP, Seminary Teacher!
Calling that changed my life MISSIONARY!
I too was once a magazine representative, and I agree. It's totally a made-up calling. It's probably the only calling I've ever had that hasn't made me quake though, now that I think about it. The activity is going to be great! I'm excited.
Okay I love it! You and Marne are probably too young to remember(internet generation)(or I'm too old) but the magazine representative use to have to stand in the hall and renew subscriptions to the church magazines. It was the only way to recieve them. So they would have this big push once a year to sign everyone up! Now you can just order them online! So, not made up, just outdated!:D
I love, love, LOVE YW. Anything YW. I've actually had to deal with my unholy and covetous feelings about YW calling before. :)
Primary makes me really nervous - I've never done it before (except help in nursery), and I just don't feel like I'm creative enough to capture their attention.
And playing the piano is easy-peasy but also enjoyable. :)
Post a Comment